Monday, March 12, 2007

poem for the week


image of stevie smith

coffee, cigs, and a great poetic mind...is there anything better?

i am so sick.....the flu finally caught up with me blah! but i must carry on...the poem of the week waits for no one!








Not Waving But Drowning



Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he's dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.


--stevie smith

1 comment:

Progressive Texas Chicano said...

Poem of the week huh? Guess that is something I need to remember to check on. Thanks for your comment and the encouragement for graduate school. Actually I would LOVE to go to grad school for museum studies in California, but since I bought my house here in Tex-ass, I guess I must put that off for now. I love school. If I could I would be a lifetime student. Nice poem and quite fitting for your comparison you eloquently articulated. Oh, & btw, I am SO ocmputer/blog illiterate. I just got lucky with some of the settings. Nonetheless I love listing other blogs that I find interesting. Oren...nice name. Gaelic? Ciao mi amigo!

Angelo
angelopena@yahoo.com