Monday, July 31, 2006

how does one write one's life?

"Every three years I discover again
that No I knew nothing before.
Everthing must be dragged out,
looked over again, The unexamined life
is the lie, but still
must I every time deny
everything I knew before?"

Dorothy Allison, "The Women Who Hate Me."





i have been proofing a narrative project for dev and it's really stunning. she does a really good job in attempting to capture the essence or shall i say essences of her life. how we come to know ourselves as subjects is an enigma to me. as i was reading dev's narrative i was putting myself in the place of the author. how would i write my life...to me it seems like a psychic version of cleaning my apartment...overwhelming. hopefully one day, i will have the chance to try but right now i wouldn't know where to begin.
i know from experience that many gay/lesbian/queer/transgender/transsexual persons start with coming to terms with identity. to be sure, coming out stories are a really good place to begin because it seems that seeing at least through what appears to be dissonance is key to rooting oneself in "place" even if this "place" is extremely mobile or transient.
i thought to myself, where would i begin. would i begin at the coming out intersection. by comparison, my coming out was not so much surrounded by dissonance than by complicity. i never felt compelled to jump out of the closet...i just opened the door and sat down in the open. my mother pats me on the shoulder and kisses my cheek while my father tells me that there were a lot of "gay" guys in the marines and it is no big deal. i guess i feel fortunate...can one begin a story from a point of consonance? i don't know...so i look, i look for dissonance to begin a story.
i do remember when i knew that i was "different" from the other kids in my school. 7th grade for me was the kicker. i had a crush on john miller...i was also attending a very strict, fundamentalist, bob jones university supporting "christian" school. my social science teacher, mr. laws (i'm not joking that is/was his name) brought out an article where two men were "gay bashed" in our town by a group of sexually repressed skin heads. mr. laws told us that god didn't like violence per se, but he could understand why someone would want to bash in a gay person's head...and he balled up his fist as he said this and i felt as if i were a sheet of paper being crumbled up in a hand. as he went on about the job of rationalizing his feelings to make it fit with his christianity, i thought to myself, "wow, i better keep my mouth shut or else i will either get seriously hurt or killed." i can remember that moment as truly feeling what it meant to be afraid.
i never told my mom or dad. i graduated from this school, so it wasn't like this was the first time i would have to endure homophobic tirades or calls for violence upon difference. but i remained silent.
i grew up methodist and my parents were not religious fanatics. they put me in this school because they somehow knew that i probably wouldn't make it in public school...not intellectually but physically. this christian school was also known for its academics...and to be fair, i did receive a good education. by the time i graduated i had the equivalent of an a.a. degree from a community college. academically, my education helped me advance in the university setting. but the silence that i learned was and is most profound. the most valuable lesson that i learned in life was invisibility and silence...to walk into a room and not be noticed, to be gentle, to be kind but most of all be ready to run if i needed to. which, come to think about it, was why i probably liked track in high school...especially cross country...i could out distance most if not all of the jocks, i knew i could run for a long way and not stop...sometimes i feel as if i haven't stopped yet.
so maybe if i am to write about my life i need to write from a location of silence... or, perhaps, maybe that is why i can't.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM A BORN-AGAIN CHRISTIAN WHO WAS LOOKING FOR A CHRISTIAN MOM'S BLOG TO READ AND I CAME ACROSS YOURS. B/C I BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST I KNOW THAT NOTHING HAPPENS BY COINCIDENCE. I WASN'T GOING TO RESPOND BUT I COULDN'T LET THE OPPORTUNITY GO BY WITHOUT LETTING YOU KNOW THAT JESUS LOVES YOU...NOT FOR WHO YOU COULD BE BUT FOR WHO YOU ARE, HE CREATED YOU AND FORMED YOU AND KNEW YOU BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE EARTH. HE HAS A HOPE AND A FUTURE FOR YOU, PLANS TO PROSPER YOU. HE CAME AND CARRIED UPON HIM OUR SINS AND PAID THE PRICE FOR THEM ALTHOUGH HE HADN'T COMMITTED NOT ONE OF THEM. HE LOVES YOU SO MUCH HE DIDN'T WANT YOU TO GO THROUGH THAT SO HE TOOK YOUR PLACE. HE ROSE ON THE THIRD DAY SO THAT YOU COULD BE WITH HIM FOREVER. ALL HE ASKS IS THAT YOU CONFESS HIM AS LORD AND SAVIOR AND LIVE ACCORDING TO HIS WORD. I PRAY THAT YOU SEEK HIM AND ASK HIM TO HELP YOU ANSWER THE QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE. IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR ANSWERS, HE HAS THEM. I DON'T KNOW YOU AND DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'VE GONE THROUGH BUT HE DOES SO CALL OUT TO HIM IN FAITH. HE'LL MEET YOU RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE B/C HE LOVES YOU SO.

commodifiedqueer said...

karen, thank you for your sentiments and i know that they are well placed. but this has nothing to do with god or about religion per se. i am not seeking 'truth.' believe me i know about the theological ramifications of my soul under the rubric of a fundamentalist/christian paradigm. in short, i am hell bound. fortunately, i don't believe it and it took me many times during many altar calls to understand that. god/goddess is beyond our comprehension...is beyond language and since i believe that we can never step out of language we can never access this space...so i don't worry about it. i just worry about the ways in which i effect and affect my fellow life forms and to attempt to build my story in this place that we call the world. goddess/god is beyond all of this and i am fairly certain the s/he could care-less about saving our souls as much as saving each other. you are not the first person to tell me that "jesus loves me and that he knew me before the beginning of the world" and regardless if this is accurate or not it still does not rectify pain, hurt or oppression...that is something that i must find through the stories that were in place before i was born and the stories that i have created for myself. so, again, thank you for your sentiment but jesus is the least of my worries and i am not taking any responsibility for any of my sins that he suppossedly died for. in other words, i am refusing to take responsibility for his decisions regarding my soul.

commodifiedqueer said...

ps: i don't believe in coincidence either...but i think that you coming here was more for you that me
cheers