Monday, June 19, 2006

a recapitulation of father's day...

so here's how father's day sounded like. i called my parent's house on sunday to actually talk to my mom and inquire about how my father's "special day" unfolded as well as to make sure that my card arrived on time. you may be wondering why i would talk to my mother rather than my father. well, my father has hardly any hearing whatsoever and so he doesn't like to answer the phone. however, he does have hearing aids that work just fine only one of them is broken so he's waiting on the va benefit to repair it (hopefully that will take place before 2015) or get him new ones...i can't remember. anywho, i call and my father answers the phone and it goes something like this:

"HELLO? HELLO?"
"HEY DAD, IT'S ME!!"
"HELLO? HELLO"
"IT'S ME, DAD...DAD IT'S YOUR YOUNGEST CHILD"
"HELLO?" (indistinct mumbling away from the phone)"HELLO?" (mumbles away from the phone again saying something to the effect that he thinks someone's on the other end of the line but he can't find the volume control on his end)
"DAD, IT'S ME!!!!! DON'T HANG (click) up"

so i call back again (praying to whatever higher power there is to place my mother at the receiver)

"HELLO? HELLO?"
(damn, i say to myself) "DAD, IT'S ME!!"
"HEY, WHAT CHA DOING BOY?"
"I'M CALLING TO SEE HOW YOUR DAY IS GOING"
"RAINING...NO WE HAVEN'T GOT ANY RAIN YET"
"IS MOM AROUND?"
"YOUR MOTHER? YEAH, SHE'S RIGHT HERE...SHE'S BEEN SICK THOUGH...I'LL LET YOU TALK TO HER."

(thank you higher being)

"hey ma, you're sick?"
"yea, i don't know what i have but i feel terrible"
"can you tell me what's been going on?"
"well, my body hurts, i haven't been able to eat, and i just broke a fever"
"sounds like the flu to me"
"you think?, i haven't been around anybody with the flu"
"i don't think that you have to be around anybody mom, because you can pick up all sorts of stuff"
"well, i'm fixing myself some tea...i'm feeling a little bit better"
"good, you should probably try an eat some toast or something"
"well, i sent your father to walgreen's to get some pediasure to drink. i even wrote down the name for him but he came back with pepcid instead. i swear he's been bitchin about taking care of me" (i know my mother is sick because she doesn't really cuss)
"well tell him to suck it up"
"yeah, i think i will. listen honey, i better let you go, i am still really tired"
"ok ma, tell dad that i hope he had a nice father's day"
"oh, he did, he went over to your sister's house for lunch. he also got your card."

(thank you again higher power)

"great, well get some rest and i will check up on you tomorrow"
"ok honey, love you"
"love you too, talk to you later"


TADA!!!!!
welcome to my crazy family
i love them so much

No comments: